Friday, April 18, 2014

Just the thing for a girls' night in

This week, I had the incredible honor of making a very special Icing Smiles cake. The recipient of this cake is a 12-year-old girl who had been moved into hospice and wanted to have a fun, laughter-filled girls' night with her friends. I cannot imagine the strength it takes to have OR attend such an event, so I wanted to create something really special for her.

I was told that there was no specific theme required for the cake, but she "is definitely a girly girl" and loves pink and purple. I couldn't think of a better option for her party than makeup and animal print!

First, I made the makeup for the top tier of the cake using a mixture of fondant and gum paste, so it would dry hard. These pieces are "edible," in that they are safe to eat, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it!
Eyeshadow and blush palette
I think these lipsticks are some of the cutest
things I have ever made
All the makeup components, ready for drying!
Next, I covered the bottom tier in a hot pink and black zebra pattern:
Can't get much girlier than this!
I chose to cover the top tier in bright purple fondant, which I quilted and studded with white sugar pearls. This was my first time quilting fondant, and while I'm relatively happy with how it turned out, I definitely could have done a better job with my measuring and spacing.
Full cake
Can I get a close up? I absolutely LOVE
the effect of the pearl dust on this cake!
I am so happy with how this cake turned out. I heard that the recipient and all her friends ooh-ed and aah-ed over it, and that it was better than she even dreamed. I am so honored to have the opportunity to use my talents to brighten someone's day, and I am grateful to be able to participate in Icing Smiles.

xoxo,
Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment